Who We Are
Caring for our community is a long-standing tradition at Sakakawea Medical Center. Since our founding, we have strived to care for all who need us and to bring health, healing, and a better quality of life to our neighbors.
SMC serves Dunn, Mercer and Oliver counties, and is located in the heart of rural Mercer County and housed in the City of Hazen. SMC consists of a critical access hospital (licensed for 13 beds) and a 34-bed licensed basic care facility. The medical center is a community-owned, not-for-profit organization and is governed by a volunteer board of directors. Any money remaining after expenses have been paid is reinvested back into the community to support local healthcare and education.
Our community focus is reflected through our mission goals to
- provide high quality care that is measured and continuously improved.
- provide individualized care that exceeds expectations of those we serve.
- strengthen partnerships with providers to enhance coordination of care and improve system performance.
- be a steward of resources.
- commit to service excellence.
- be a vital contributor to our area communities.
- recognize the value of each employee and provide opportunities for personal growth and development that complement the needs of the organization.
Sakakawea Medical Center strives to be a complete healthcare system dedicated to providing the best comprehensive care possible to the area that we serve.
Our vision is to
Enhance the lives of our patients, families and area communities through high quality healthcare and services.
We are dedicated to excellence in health care for our communities, resulting in uncomprimised value and quality in the services we provide.
We will positively affect the health and well-being of our communities by providing compassionate care.
We will insist that integrity, honesty, confidentiality, respect and dignity are reflected in all relationships with co-workers and those we serve.
We will work as partners, combining our skills and ideas to continuously improve the quality of the care we provide, in pursuit of our Vision and Mission.
We believe everyone has the right to a safe and secure environment. We earn trust by providing safe facilities and work practices, dedicated to the well-being of our patients, employees and guests.
Current Board of Directors
- Christie ObenauerPresident
- Fred SternVice‐President
- Myria PerrySecretary/Treasurer
- Dr. D. J. EricksonDirector
- Mark GerdeDirector
- Beverly HuberDirector
- Keith JohnsonDirector
- Todd LindquistDirector
- Robin RichterDirector
- Sienna SailerDirector
Current Administrative Team Members
- Darrold BertschChief Executive Officer
- Melissa DillmanChief Financial Officer
- Marcie Schulz, RNDirector of Patient Care
Sakakawea Medical Center's Annual Tax Return (IRS Form 990) for the previous fiscal year is available for review by request at the Business Office located at 510 8th Ave NE; Hazen, North Dakota. You can contact the Chief Financial Officer at 7017482225 for information.